Catch-and-Cook Smoked Trout
By: Jack Mancuso
Catch-and-Cook Smoked Trout
I took to some water fun, looking to go out fishing for fresh speckled sea trout for dinner. Anyone who has ever eaten fish freshly cooked out of the water will tell you the experience is an exceptional treat for your taste buds. Thus, give my catch-and-cook smoked trout recipe.
Now, I know you guys won’t have your own “deserted” island for a short getaway, but you can still prepare fresh trout at home with finesse.
What is Trout?
Trout is an oily fish closely related to char and salmon. Depending on the type, trout live in lakes, rivers, and coastal regions. Some common types of trout include
- Flathead trout
- Lake Trout
- Rainbow trout
- Redband trout
- River trout
- Sea trout
Besides having this fish for dinner, you can add the meat to salads (make sure to get rid of all the pin bones), pasta, and even use it in sandwiches. Or, try making trout patties by combining cooked fish with mashed potatoes, seasoning, eggs, and bread crumbs. Haul out the deep fryer and have at!
What does Trout Taste Like?
If you’ve never had trout before, you may wonder about its flavor profile. Rainbow trout are flaky, nutty, and mild, taking much like salmon. Speckled trout taste much like the Rainbow variety with a mild taste.
Brown trout is a bold, in-your-face fish and is not recommended for your first trout experience. You may find the heavy grease unpleasant. Brook trout, by comparison, is a fantastic choice for your virgin voyage. It’s nearly sweet.
Catch-and-Cook Smoked Trout Ingredients
Catch-and-Cook Smoked Trout Instructions
- Set your grill or smoker to medium.
- Oil the surface of the grill to prevent sticking.
- Filet the fish (if not already prepared) using a sharp knife.
- Rinse gently in salt water
- Put a dab of oil on the fish and rub it all over the surface
- Follow with Cuso’s rubs
- Lay the trout skin down
- Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on the top of the filet
- When the skin is crisped, turn over the fish. It won’t take more than 2 minutes for the trout to become translucent.
- The internal temperature you’re looking for is 135F
- Gently remove it, making sure bits aren't stuck.
PitMaster’s Memo: Great Places to Fish
If you talk to ten anglers and ask them the best places to fish, you’re likely to get ten different answers. Nonetheless, there are some areas heralded for trout in case you are in the market for a road trip:
- Alaska: Rainbow Trout
- Arkansas White River: Trophy Brown fishing yielding upward of 20 to 40-pound fishes (come hungry!)
- Beaverkill River, NY: Brown and brook trout
- Colorado River: Browns, brook, rainbow, and cutthroat trout
- Deschutes, OR: Wild and steelhead
- Montana/Wyoming - Madison River said to have the “most” trout
- Wisconsin: 5,000 quality trout streams
Arugula with parmesan salad
Cheesy potatoes with bacon
Lemon Butter Asparagus
Marinated cherry tomatoes
Pineapple or mango Pico de Gallo
Rice pilaf with fresh peas
From the Bar
Irish Red Ale