Today, I’m taking the idea of a hamburger and creating a loaded bacon cheeseburger bread. You will basically stuff a baguette with luscious burger ingredients and put it on the grill for that perfect crust. I chose charcoal for the heat source because of the smoky flavor it imparts. You can, however, make this on a gas grill if you don’t have a charcoal grill.
What is a Baguette?
A baguette is a type of French loaf. It’s long and skinny, perfectly shaped to hold the fillings for this dish. The difference between a baguette and French bread is that the French bread loaf is longer and wider, with a soft crust (which wouldn’t hold up as well for grilling).
Loaded Bacon Cheeseburger Bread Ingredients
- ½ pound Bacon
- ½ cup Jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Handful baby spinach
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- Pepper jack cheese
- Cuso’s Smoky Garlic Buffalo BBQ Rub
- Cuso’s Dirt BBQ Rub
- Cheddar cheese
- Light your charcoal. It’s ready when the bricks are covered with charcoal ash (about 10 minutes.)
- Dice and fry the bacon till crispy. Set aside.
- Saute the peppers and mushrooms.
- Add the baby spinach, cooking until it wilts.
- Slice the baguette in half length-wise
- Pull out the center of the bread to leave a hollow space
- Stuff with bacon mix, evenly distributing it
- Sprinkle with shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sprinkle with Cuso’s Smoky Garlic Barbecue Rub
- Top with the ground beef, smushing it down, so it fills the space
- Sprinkle with Cuso’s Dirt Barbecue Rub
- Sear the meat side till you get a nice crust
- Turn it over and top with cheddar, letting the cheese melt
- Serve with a mixture of ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise on top
- Cut into finger-food size pieces using a Chef’s Knife
PitMaster’s Memo: Using the Left-Over Bread
Most cooks shudder over the idea of wasting food. If you’re trying to come up with ideas as to how to utilize the bread pulled out of the baguettes, there are really a lot of choices. Ideas include:
- Italian bread soup
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
- Sweet or savory bread pudding
Carrots in herb butter
Sweet potato chipotle chips
From the Bar