Garlic Confit Tomahawk Steak
By: Jack Mancuso
If you have never had a Tomahawk steak, you’re in for a treat. This garlic confit Tomahawk steak recipe is off-the-charts delicious. There’s something sexy about a beautiful cut of meat. Your guest will want to try some long before service. Unless the meat has rested, the answer is a firm “no.” Go hit the snack tray.
- 2 cups whole garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 tsp Cuso’s Grass Seasoning
- Tomahawk steak (2-4 people depending on size)
- Cuso’s DIRT® (New alternative rub forthcoming).
- Crusty bread slices
- Black salt flakes
- Put your garlic in a heat-proof pan and cover it with olive oil
- Sprinkle in Cuso’s Grass Seasoning
- Simmer for 2 hours until soft
- Prepare the smoker at 200F
- Put the meat therein until internal temperature reads 120F
- Remove from the smoker and sear
- Let the steak rest for about 10 minutes, then sear again for a perfect crust.
- Rest the steak for another 10 minutes, then slice to sizes suitable for bread.
- Spoon a little olive oil over the meat, and spread the confit on it, as well as the bread.
- Enjoy a finishing season of black salt flakes. **
** There are two types of black salt flakes. The Himalayan version is a popular finishing salt for savory offerings. Black Lava Salt is smoky. Either suit this dish.
PitMaster’s Memo: All About Confit
The process to confit anything begins with an even, low temperature of around 200F. The word confit simply means “preserve.” The process of cooking slowly in a liquid decreases the chance of bacterial growth. Fruits usually receive a sugar syrup bath and can last for years in this form. Meats receive pure fat after cooking and packing into a suitable container where connective tissues break down. The end goal is to have a “melt in your mouth” experience. By cooking the garlic in olive oil, it softens. You are left with a wonderful spread and seasoned cooking oil.
Beef (or vegetable) stir-fried rice
Cracked black pepper asparagus with garlic
Lemon Herb Couscous
Smoked Steak Fries
From the Bar
Pomegranate sparkling seltzer